Life

Sometimes life is crazy but it is balanced with some relaxation too.
Sometimes my boys cry and whine but they laugh and learn too.
Sometimes I feel like I am a one-person show...in the circus but I also feel supported and helped.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Have you heard of holy cow?

This week, we started swimming lessons for our oldest son. While it is his nature to observe and contemplate what is going on, it is also his nature to do what he is suppose to do for other adults. This has translated to a shy and apprehensive 4yr-old who will try anything the instructor asks him to, but he is never the first one to volunteer, and is often one of the last. As his mom, I am ok with that, even though it is my nature to want him to be less shy (since that is how I am) I take pleasure in the fact that he is not 'that boy' in class who does not listen and wanders away towards the deeper water a half a dozen times during class. I take pleasure in the fact that he is not splashing all the other children on purpose like the girl in the purple bathing suit was today. But most of all, I am proud that he is trying and he is listening to the instructors.

While I was tucking Simon in his bed the other night he told me that there was a boy with red swimming trunks on and he was in his class. And every time that boy got out of the water, everyone could he is crack...and it was a big one. HA!

When my younger boy was watching his brother during lessons, several planes flew overhead and one was really low. My 2yr-old said (and I quote), "Mommy! That was a holy cow!" So, props to my little guy for attempting to use this phrase appropriately. Usually I take a time like that as a teachable moment, but he was so cute and so proud of himself I did not. This was also in part because his words sounded adorable and I hope that I get to hear him say this again in the near future. Maybe then I will tell him about the correct way to use "holy cow."

No comments:

Post a Comment